Democratic Party of Socialists of Montenegro
Published 17th September, 2012
The Democratic Party of Socialists of Montenegro or DPS was founded originally in 1943 as part of the Yugoslav Communist League but was renamed in 1991. It describes itself as centre-left and believes in social democracy, Montenegrin nationalism and pro-Europeanism.
The DPS has been the ruling party since 1991being the largest party in every election, although it has worked in coalition with a number of smaller parties along the way.
In 1992 and 1996 the party took overall majorities on its own with 46 of 85 seats and 45 of 71 seats respectively.
In 1998 the DPS formed a campaign coalition entitled ‘So that we live better’ which comprised of the DPS plus the Social Democratic Party of Montenegro (SDP), Croatian Civic Initiative (HDI) and Bosniak Party (BS). The coalition won 42 of the 78 seats in the Skupština Crne Gore or Parliament.
In 2001 a new coalition was forged called the Coalition for a European Montenegro which included the same parties from the previous coalition. It won 33 of the 72 seats in an inconclusive election which led to a fresh contest in 2002. In the 2002 election the DPS and Social Democratic Party of Montenegro (SDP) won 39 seats, just enough to hold a majority in the 75 seat parliament.
The Coalition for a European Montenegro won 41 of 81 seats in 2006 (the first election where Montenegro was independent from Serbia) and in 2009 they won again with 47 of the 81 seats in the Skupština Crne Gore. This time the Liberal Party of Montenegro (LPCG) was part of the coalition.
The Democratic Party of Socialists of Montenegro is a member of Socialist International and of the Party of European Socialists.