Eight nominations for Prime Minister
Yesterday was the closing date for nominations for the position of prime minister. Eight names have been submitted each of which has to have had at least 15 supporters from the 200 strong General National Council. The election is due to take place on 12th September.
The eight nominations are from:
• Deputy Prime Minister Mustafa Abushagur
• National Forces Alliance leader and former Prime Minister Mahmoud Jibril
• Electricity Minister and Justice and Construction Party candidate Awad Barasi
• Mohammed Berween a professor of politics at Texas A&M International University after being in exile for 33 years. The Libya Herald reports him as being the architect of the system for local elections
• Mohammed Al-Mufti a surgeon, writer and researcher in Libyan history
• Under Secretary at the Minister of Scientific Research and Higher Education Fathi Al-Akkari
• Abdulhamid Al-Nami
• Al-Mabrouk Al-Zway.