Municipal elections in 53 municipalities
Ten additional municipalities have been added to the list in this year’s municipal elections which take place today; there will be 53 municipalities and a total of 1,215 seats up for grabs.
The 3,059,794 eligible voters will vote between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. local time. They will be able to choose from 11 political parties and six citizens’ groups, but only two parties the Democratic Movement of Mozambique (MDM) and the ruling Liberation Front of Mozambique (FRELIMO) will be standing in all 53 municipalities.
The Mozambican National Resistance (Resistência Nacional Moçambicana; RENAMO) has decided to boycott the elections and has disrupted the election campaign with attacks on the authorities in two provinces. Despite this the election has been largely peaceful with only a few violent incidents.
The ten new municipalities are Boane (Maputo province), Praia do Bilene (Gaza), Quissico (Inhambane), Nhamatanda (Sofala), Sussundenga (Manica), Nhamayábué (Tete), Maganja da Costa
(Zambézia), Malema (Nampula), Chiure (Cabo Delgado) and Mandimba (Niassa).
The political parties standing and the municipalities they are contesting where known are as follows:
- Movimento Democrático de Moçambique (MDM); 53 municipalities
- Mozambique Liberation Front, Frente de Libertação de Moçambique (FRELIMO); 53 municipalities
- Partido Humanitário de Moçambique (PAHUMO); Pemba, Nampula and Montepuez
- Partido Trabalhista (PT)
- Partido Independente de Moçambique (PIMO); Gondola
- Os VERDES; Maputo and Matola
- Partido Para a Paz Democracia e Desenvolvimento (PDD); Maputo, Matola, Boane, Beira, Nhamatanda, Marromeu, Chimoio, Quelimane and Milange
- Partido para o Progresso Liberal de Moçambique (PPLM); Maputo, Matola and Boane
- Partido de Reconciliação Nacional (PARENA)
- Movimento Patriótico para a Democracia (MPD)
- Partido Ecologista Movimento da Terra (PEC-MP)
- Aliança Independente de Moçambique (ALIMO); Maputo city
- Associação Jovens Técnicos Portadores de Deficiência de Moçambique (SINFORTECNICA); Maputo city
- Juntos Pela Cidade; (JPC); Maputo city
- Associação dos Amigos Naturais da Manhiça (ANATURMA) Manhiça
- Associação Artesanal UIUIPI; Pemba
- Associação para a Educação Moral e Cívica de Exploração dos Recursos Minerais (ASSEMONA); Nampula, Nacala-Porto, Monapo, Ribaue and Angoche.
In the last election for 43 municipalities RENAMO took all but one municipality. In this election there are possibly between ten and fifteen municipalities that could go to the opposition.