President withdraws from Presidential second round runoff
President Manuel Pinto da Costa of São Tomé and Príncipe has announced that he will not stand in the second round runoff of the presidential election due to take place this Sunday 7th August.
Former prime minister Evaristo Carvalho came top in the first round and at first it looked as though he had exceeded the 50+% of the vote rule to be elected without a second round. After votes from the diaspora and other ballot boxes had been counted his score was revised down to 49.8%. The president, however, said that the first round ballot should be annulled due to irregularities and run again but the constitutional court rejected this and said that the second round runoff could go ahead as scheduled. Da Costa had managed to garner just 24.83% of the vote in the first round.