Eight projects approved
The Executive Committee of the National Economic Council (ECNEC) has approved eight development projects with a total outlay of Tk 93.93 billion (Bangladeshi Taka).
Tk 61.93 billion will come from government funds whilst the balance of Tk 32 billion is expected to come from project assistance by the World Bank, Islamic Development Bank and other sources. The eight projects are listed below:
Three power projects:
• 335 MW power plant at Siddhirganj (Tk 42.39 billion). The committee hope that the World Bank (WB) will provide Tk 18.20 billion for the project
• 225 MW power plant in Bhola (Tk 20.60 billion). Tk 13.78 billion will come from the Islamic Development Bank (IDB)
• 150 MW Sirajganj power plant will be upgraded to a 225 MW combined cycle power plant (Tk 6.79 billion).
• Construction of long bridges/culverts at upazilla and union roads (Tk 14.06 billion).
• BMR of Carew & Co. (BD) Ltd (Tk 470 million); Bangladesh Sugar and Food Industries Corporation.
• Protection of the right bank of the river Jamuna in Bogra district (TK 2.14 billion).
• Sylhet central jail construction project (Tk 1.98 billion).
• Development of Cox’s Bazar airport (1st revised) project (Tk 5.50 billion).