Mubarak to stay on until September
In a broadcast on state media last night President Hosni Mubarak of Egypt said that he would stay on until September to oversee the transition to a new government. He also said that he would concede some powers to his new Vice President Omar Suleiman.
People listening across the world had been led to believe that the President would announce that he was standing down. The packed crowds in Tehrir Square in the centre of Cairo seemed shocked stunned and angry and vowed to bring out bigger protests today (Friday 11th February).
The demonstrations, which have been going on since 25th January, have been largely peaceful and friendly although they have affected the economy and trade with Egypt, especially tourism.