National Peoples Congress opens
Prime Minister Wen Jiabao opened the 4th session of the 11th National People’s Congress (NPC) today (Saturday 5th March 2011). 3,000 deputies of the NPC, effectively the Chinese parliament, and 2,000 members of the National Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) attended in the Great Hall of the People in Tiananmen Square, Beijing.
At the meeting the Prime Minister presented a report on the past year and also the 5 year plan. Highlights of the speech included:
• China will increase gross domestic product (GDP) by 8% this year
• Keep the consumer price index (CPI) to 4%
• Create more than 9 million jobs in urban areas
• Keep unemployment rate to 4.6% or lower
• Make stabilising price levels a top priority
• Expand domestic demand, support agriculture, improve energy efficiency and reduce pollution.